Wednesday, October 28, 2009

2. Catch up on my reading.



My love affair with books started early (see above). Reading is my most perfect escape, and to me books are the most loyal of friends. (Along with Teddy, obviously.)

Most all of my reading is done for pure pleasure...not for the direct improvement of my mind (although I would argue that something can be learned from even the trashiest read), and I am as addicted to finding something new to read as much as any junkie. But as I prowl the bookstores and libraries for my next fix, it started to occur to me that there are a lot of great books out there that I have never read. (And by great, I mean great with a capital "G".)

So as part of my countdown list, I am going to read 80 books (40 each year) that I have never read before, and let you know what I think about them. I did not necessarily choose the most popular book by each author, instead I choose the book that sounded the most interesting to me personally. (Which means that yes, I really did some research to choose these books! Again, I know what a geek I am, thanks.) There are biographies, short stories, children's titles....and a few books that actually rocked the world.

The first 40, as you will notice, are all by female authors...I had to narrow the list down somehow! It was actually really hard to choose...but here is the final cut. If you have (or haven't) read any of these titles, I would love to hear what YOU thought!
  1. Helen Keller: The Story of My Life

  2. Anne Frank: The Diary of Anne Frank

  3. Mary Wollstonecraft: A Vindication of the Rights of Women

  4. Sylvia Plath: The Bell Jar

  5. Harper Lee: To Kill a Mockingbird

  6. Margaret Atwood: The Handmaid's Tale

  7. Toni Morrison: The Bluest Eye

  8. Amy Tan: The Hundred Secret Senses

  9. Maya Angelou: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

  10. Margaret Mitchell: Gone with the Wind

  11. Virginia Woolfe: A Room of One's Own

  12. Charlotte Bronte: Jane Eyre

  13. Alice Walker: The Color Purple

  14. Flannery O'Connor: A Good Man is Hard to Find

  15. Alice Steinbach: Without Reservations

  16. Julia Child: My Life in France

  17. Erica Jong: Fear of Flying

  18. Isabel Allende: Daughter of Fortune

  19. Ursula Le Guin: Lavinia

  20. SARK: Succulent Wild Woman

  21. Barbara Robinson: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

  22. Helen Fielding: Bridget Jones' Diary

  23. Candace Bushnell: Sex & the City

  24. Pearl Buck: The Good Earth

  25. Daphne de Murier: Rebecca

  26. Anne Morrow Lindbergh: A Gift from the Sea

  27. Dorothy Parker: The Portable Dorothy Parker

  28. Betty Friedan: The Feminine Mystique

  29. Anita Diamant: The Red Tent

  30. Frances Hodgson Burnett: The Secret Garden

  31. Judy Blume: Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

  32. Katherine Paterson: Bridge to Terabithia

  33. Naomi Wolf: The Beauty Myth

  34. Jane Austen: Pride & Prejudice

  35. Jane Austen: Persuasion

  36. Jane Austen: Emma

  37. Jane Austen: Mansfield Park

  38. Jane Austen: Northanger Abbey

  39. Ayn Rand: Atlas Shrugged

  40. Enid Blyton: The Enchanted Wood



2 comments:

  1. Wow - what a list :)
    I don't see any Scifi Fantasy - unless I count Bridge to Teribithia - which is a children's book. Hmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. so i'd love to join you in reading are you there god it's me margaret. judy blume - one of my favorite authors! let me know when BEFORE you start this one....i'll need a little more time to keep up due to my lil' love! actually i would love to read more so if you'd like a partner (mini book club) with this goal just let me know!

    ReplyDelete