Saturday, August 13, 2011

4. Watch all of Audrey Hepburn's films



"My career is a complete mystery to me. It's been a total surprise since the first day. I never thought I was going to be an actress, I thought I was going to be in movies, I never thought it would all happen the way it did." ~Audrey Hepburn

Audrey Hepburn has always fascinated me. She was such a graceful, childlike personality. But for all I knew about her in a fringe-like way through mentions in books and pictures, and of course owning Breakfast at Tiffany's, I found I knew very little substantive information about her, not to mention having seen almost none of her famous films.

Hepburn was born in 1929 in Belgium and wanted to be a ballerina. She survived World War II, however it left her malnourished, with anemia and asthma, which crushed her chances of becoming a prima ballerina. She turned to modeling and dancing in cabaret shows and chorus lines. In 1951, Audrey was cast in bit parts in five films, and was discovered by the famous writer Collette, who insisted that Audrey was the perfect Gigi, which was to be produced on Broadway. Gigi brought Audrey to New York, where the play's success landed her her first major role as Princess Anne in Roman Holiday, released in 1953. Roman Holiday won her an Oscar for Best Actress. And the rest was history...

  • 1953 Roman Holiday

  • 1954 Sabrina

  • 1956 War and Peace

  • 1957 Funny Face

  • 1959 Green Mansions

  • 1959 The Nun's Story

  • 1960 The Unforgiven

  • 1961 Breakfast at Tiffany's

  • 1961 The Children's Hour

  • 1963 Charade

  • 1964 Paris When It Sizzles

  • 1964 My Fair Lady

  • 1966 How to Steal a Million

  • 1967 Two for the Road

  • 1967 Wait Until Dark

  • 1976 Robin and Marian

  • 1979 Bloodline

  • 1981 They All Laughed

  • 1989 Always

...but her real legacy was all of the work she did throughout her life, but especially at the end of her career, for UNICEF. In 1988 she accepted the role as International Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF and travelled to over 20 countries witnessing and reporting to the United Nations on the condition of children worldwide who were struggling for survival. Her official website is dedicated to continuing to help children all around the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment