Tuesday, October 20, 2009

26. Perform 24 Breast Self-Check Exams


Everyone knows that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, right? And all of us know about the cute little pink ribbon that is a reminder that we are supposed to take care of our breasts...give them regular self-check exams (rather than the once-yearly poke that the ob/gyn administers) and take them to get squashed and x-ray'd starting at year 40.

B----u----t........do we? I know that I do not.
  • Even though my mother had to have a lump removed and go through radiation (which was terrifying).

  • Even though my best friend's mother had a mastectomy after discovering her breast cancer (she played the piano at my wedding).

  • Even though one of my co-workers died after a long struggle with breast cancer (she was only in her late 40s).

  • Even though numerous people within my circle have had breast cancer scares, breast cancer surgeries, and more.
And still I have procrastinated. But no longer! My tatas may be little, but they are MINE, and I need to take better care of them. And so do you. I invite you to join me in this particular Cupcake goal....


Just in case further inspiration should be necessary to kick you into action (0ther than just my bossing you around), I found a few neat resources for your reading (and shopping) pleasure.

  1. Susan G. Komen's site has a neat Interactive Tool that provides very specific directions via video for a full self-check exam or a down loadable card with instructions

  2. The National Breast Cancer Foundation has an Early Detection Plan that you can sign up for that will remind you via cell, email, etc. to follow up on your self-check or your mammogram.

  3. Most of us have been affected in one way or another by breast cancer, and the Pink Ribbon Girls have a great blog (and some great tattoos) supporting the cause and young women who have survived breast cancer. (This site is where I got the cool picture up above.)

  4. Should you be in the market to test drive a car, Ford will donate $20 to the Susan G. Koman affiliate of your choice until 12/31/09. The Warriors In Pink website also has some interesting information and merchandise.

  5. And last but not least, Save the TaTas Foundation and Signify Pink have some neat merchandise to show your support of the cause.

Now get out there and give your tatas a squeeze! I just did!

1 comment:

  1. My tatas are in need of some attention - not from my husband mind you - but from me :)
    I too do not do regular check ups and I am using you as my model to be better at this!

    ReplyDelete