Wednesday, January 26, 2011

16. Watch Gone With the Wind (start to finish!)


I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.
~Scarlett O'Hara

Finally...All four hours of it. Watched. You would have thought I was scheduling a root canal the way I kept putting it off!

I had seen parts of it before-the entire first half, I believe-one time in college. But never the entire film. The version that I rented was in color...definitely an improvement over the B&W. Really, when you consider that the film was made in 1939, the effects are impressive and the scenery, well- I'm a southern girl, so we'll just say it was lovely (at least until Sherman burned it all to a crisp).

What can I say...it was wonderful. Time-consuming, but worth it! Very like the novel, which meant that Scarlett alternately infuriated and impressed me. She is so spoiled and manipulative, but she is so strong and self-sufficient. And now I am going to be forced into reading the authorized sequel written by Alexandra Ripley in 1991, Scarlett, which my dear friend says is a great story (not quite up to the first, but what could you expect?!).

The Major even watched the entire film with me, for you doubters...and said it was worth his time (at least the once)! After all, it did win multiple Academy Awards in 1939: Vivian Leigh for Best Actress, Hattie McDaniel (Mammy) for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Director, Best Film Editing, Best Screenplay AND Best Picture. And in 1989 it was voted Favorite All-Time Motion Picture at the People's Choice Awards (people's choice, hello?!). So apparently the "People" think it is a great movie. And so did I.

Should you need any further persuasion to add it to your Netflix queue, here is a preview:



Now go on...the next rainy day that comes around, grab a blankie and curl up to an amazing story of the Old South....

I promise it will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment