Friday, October 14, 2011

17. Plant a tree with my step-kids

A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit.
D. Elton Trueblood




The idea for this was not totally random (unlike the one about making 1000 origami cranes). When I was 11 years old, my dad gave me a beautiful oak sapling about as tall as I was and we planted it in our front yard. (Well, actually we planted it in the neighbor's front yard by accident, but now it is so big it is about half on each side.)



This tree is about the height of Claire and JP put together. And even though we won't be living here long enough for them to enjoy it when it is fully grown, I love the idea of knowing that one day, we can drive by this house, and see this huge beautiful tree...



...and know it is ours.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this!!!!! Like so many of your fab ideas...can i steal it? xoxo

    ReplyDelete