Saturday, March 13, 2010

Old Books and Old Friends


This week I finished reading Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret? by Judy Blume. I had never read this book as a child, although I had read many other by this author. One of my loveliest and oldest friends offered to read it with me, and we met on Wednesday to chat about it, which made the experience even nicer!

Margaret is about 12, and is struggling with all matters that pre-adolecent girls do, which strikes a cord with me since my step-daughter just turned 12 herself. Margaret's parents are not religious or spiritual in any way, and have left it up to Margaret (supposedly when she gets old enough) to decide which, if any, spiritual path she will choose to follow. Unbeknownst to her parents, however, Margaret does talk with God regularly, about all the things in her life that matter to her. It is a very sweet, and very poignant, example of being able to approach God as a child does...most children don't overcomplicate the issue the way we adults tend to do.

My friend and I both laughed a bit about the drama that befalls a 12 year old girl, thanking God we don't ever have to be 12 again! But the book is all about the innocence of a child, and that IS something that is precious and easily lost with the passage of time.

I undertook another task this week, a simple one, but one that I had forgotten! I printed out my Cupcake List and my Reading List...go figure. It is very helpful to have this information in front of my nose, so as to remember what it is that I'm doing. Seems obvious, yes? I guess not.

Lastly, for the wonderful ones who are reading my bits and thoughts, there is a way at the top of the blog to "FOLLOW", which will (I think) email you my new blog posts as they appear. It would be great if you were interested in doing this!

Off to try to tear my husband away from Family Guy (sigh) and to get ready for bed! What book shall I start next...hummmmm....

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you set your mind on the things you wish to do before you reach 40. I am over that age and I wished I did the same lol. Well, anyway, I think I will do that for my 50th. God bless your blending family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so it has been awhile since i checked in and i must admit that i felt honored to be mentioned here but even more grateful that we could share this together! i luv ya....my fellow PTS : )

    ReplyDelete